Monday, June 30, 2014

I AM A PAINT BRUSH PURIST

I do a lot of crafting, and a lot of home and furniture painting and I love it!
Everyone says "to save time, spray painting is the way to go".
I will say that over the past few years, they have made great improvements in spray paint... primer, paint & primer in one, high gloss, matt, plastic, metalic, with trigger nozzles, and spray tips that work from any angle. I have tried them all - yes, they all saved me time but ....... I really cannot get the exact look or colors I want, and spray paint just does not sand and distress well. However,  the biggest difference, for me is the process.
 I love the PROCESS!:
1. Preparation - Find a uncluttered surface the correct size for the job, lay out the a drop cloth, a huge one for furniture - sheets of wax paper for small projects
2. Choose Paint - usually I have the right color in my workshop,but sometimes I must go to the hardware store (one of my favorite places to go anyway) When the correct color is found I place it in a wire basket along with other supplies ready for the project to begin.
3. Paint Brush - I have about 40 or 50 brushes in various sizes I use weekly and sometimes when I am down, I reward myself with a new paint brush or two.
4. Painting  -  painting is Therapudic  the smell of new wood, the texture of the paint, the rhythm of the brush. taking the project from nothing to finished - making it look like my drawn plan.
thinking of the place I will display the finished project, or of the customer I am making it for
Creative,Satisfying, and fulfilling!
Spary painting does eliminate steps and time but........
I choose hand painting every time -  I am a Paint Brush purest!

No comments:

Post a Comment